The Church of St John the Baptist is Church of England and within the Diocese of Winchester and is part of the newly-formed Arle Valley Benefice.
It has been the Parish Church of New Alresford since 1851. However, we know from the Domesday Book that there was a church in New Alresford soon after the Norman Conquest. Until 1851 it was part of the Parish of Old Alresford. St John’s now forms part of the Arle Valley Benefice which is made up of the parishes of New Alresford, Ovington, Old Alresford and Bighton.
St John’s serves the whole community of Alresford. It is there to meet the spiritual needs of the community which it does through a variety of ways: through the use of the church and its building and through the use of its John Pearson Hall….
- By offering public worship, usually at least 3 times, on Sundays and on different occasions during the week.
- By offering baptism, confirmation, marriage or funerals to anyone who lives in the Parish of New Alresford.
- By visiting the sick, at home or in hospital, by praying for them regularly, and by taking Holy Communion to the housebound where it is requested. We need to be notified of those who are sick and need a visit. St John’s also has a regular ministry of the laying of hands for wholeness.
- By encouraging reflection on the Christian faith and how we may share it, both through House Groups and a programme of Nurture and Training events. These are often available to members of other churches.
- By offering opportunities to look at issues of importance today, such as pressure at work, or parenting courses, or how to work with people in other places and cultures.
- By offering social events which enable others to meet people from the church.
- By working as closely as possible with the other churches of the town. St John’s is covenanted for unity with Alresford Methodist Church, St Gregory’s Roman Catholic Church and St Mary’s Church, Old Alresford (Churches Together in Alresford).
Inside St Johns Church Alresford looking east, St John’s has a Church Hall (The John Pearson Hall) which is available to groups within the community. We are pleased to give a meeting place to Chatterbox (for mums and toddlers) weekly, as well as meetings for other age groups.
The Parish Office is in the John Pearson Hall and is open Monday – Friday from 10.00 – 12.00. The Office telephone is 01962 733545. Initial questions about Baptism, Confirmation, Weddings or Funerals: about the churchyard or about parish organisations should be addressed to the Parish Office. (01962 733545)
Our Postal Address:
St John the Baptist Church